Twilight Squabble Guest Review - With Great Power Comes No Responsibility!

Twilight Struggle for a long time was the highest ranking game on Board Game Geek. It held the #1 spot for many years and to be honest, I never understood why. I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. The design is fine, the game play is tight (although far too long), the components are a little bland, but the theme is reasonably strong. Although this is only if you have any knowledge about the Cold War to begin with for which I know nothing that doesn't come straight out of a James Bond movie (yeah History isn't my strongest subject), so for me it might as well be an abstract game of Tug Of War.
Well now, completely out of no-where we've got Twilight Squabble, essentially taking the Tug Of War aspect and condensing it down to a 10-15 minute game using only a small deck of cards. It still uses the Cold War theme, but plays in a fraction of the time and for a fraction of the price.
However does down-sizing from a struggle to a squabble come at too high a price in other areas or does it hold on its own?  Well AEG do seem to be the king of the micro-game category these days so already we've got a strong pedigree and I can never listen to anyone talk about history within ten minutes without my eyes glazing over, so it might just work.
Check out the full guest blog post on Games Quest here! 

0 comments: